Friday, September 5, 2008

Caution...not for the faint of heart!

Please be advised, these are graphic pictures!!

We just got these in the mail from OHSU! We had Raquelle's 2-yr surgery follow-up appointment a few weeks ago and requested to get pics of her CT scan moments after her surgery and the scans from last month to compare. These (to us) are sooo cool! It shows the severity of her surgery and how the Lord held her in the palm of his hand through it all! I remember when we saw the first pics of her CT scan at her 6-wk surgery follow up and was blown away at what we saw! I didn't realize the extent of "restructuring" they were going to do!! Thank the Lord because if I would have known, I probably wouldn't have wanted to go through with it. He is SO faithful, and looking back on these pics reminds me all over again, how faithful He truly truly is!!

This first pic is within a few minutes of her being closed up in the operating room. There is a drainage tube that was in the pic across her incision that you can see in the pic. It was amazing to me how they cut her across her eyebrows and across the top of her head, took off that section and re-positioned everything to be wider and broader. They even cut slits in the top of her skull and "fanned" it out to widen it out...it's amazing to me! All the places where there are gaps are where the plates were installed...dissolvable plates...see the next picture...
And now...here she is just one month ago...all healed up! There are still a few "thin" spots of bone, but they are very small and will not be an issue as she grows up. And with all her hair, you don't notice her skull is a little bit ripply...it is amazing how God built our bodies to repair...especially little kids. Glory be to God!!



6 comments:

BETHANY said...

Two years ago? How did I miss that? We met you at family camp in 7/06, so how was I not clued in? Maybe we just didn't really start chatting til we were doing preggo bathroom bonding. :)

.kim.h. said...

WOW. That totally gives me chills.

lundbergfamily said...

Oh my goodness! That is crazy! Praise the Lord!!!

Jessica said...

These are unbelievable. Thank God for doctors who can do such things and for holding you all close to Him during what I imagine was a really hard time.

A friend of mine is going through this with her son right now - he's having his second surgery later this month. Do you mind if I share your blog with her? I bet it would really help to see the difference two years (and lots of prayers!) makes.
Thanks!
Photo Momma Jess

Tami said...

That's incredible! I'm shocked at how well the bone was able to grow back together.
Yes, a good thing that you didn't know to full scope of the surgery before hand. Way too scary...especially on your own little one.
Praise God that he blessed this whole situation.

Jessica said...

Of course if anyone knows of families going through these same surgeries, we'd love to share our story and how God has been gracious to us! You can share these pics with them and they can email me if they'd like!!