Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Whiner!!!!!!!!!!! Please Lord have mercy!

I hear from so many of you how lucky I am that Easton is such a happy baby! Well, I think you haven't seen the "new" Easton!! He's sick again - for the sixth time in 4 months - and is realizing that his whiny voice/cry gets him attention...because it's soo annoying I have to either put him to bed, feed him or pick him up before he'll finally stop. Because he's been sick so much, I think he's forming a pattern...or his little personality (with a much-needed-anger-management-course) is rearing it's ugly head!! We've tried holding his mouth and saying "No whine!" and we've tried ignoring it (to the detriment of my ears) and just putting him to bed...now, I'm just plumb out of ideas!! I know he's not feeling well, but jeeepers son, work it out! - toughen up!! So, if you have any advice for a 10.5 month old, I'd love to hear it. I totally don't remember Raquelle going through this...but then she's only been sick like 6 times in her entire life!! I know he's still teething molars, and the sickness is just tiring for him too...I probably just have to suck it up as a season of life for him...but oh, man...bring on the next season Lord!! :)

So, here's a short video of a typical day for Easton right now. He's a bit hungry I think in this video (and probably tired because he's not sleeping great), but this gives you a great idea what he's been up to lately! Pretty much, he cries like this if we do anything he doesn't like...which includes about everything except feeding him and holding him right now. Crazy boy!!

I actually laugh when I watch this because it's just soo fake that he cries like this...the minute we tickle him, or "fake" sneeze, he starts to laugh. Also, listen to Raquelle's voice...it cracks me up, "Mom, give the book back to him!" :) - she hates the whining too I guess!! :)



Don't worry...he still melts my heart and I love him to pieces!! - you just wonder what's going on in the mind of a 10.5 month old!! :)

10 comments:

Michele said...

This is great. He is so cute but it is so SAD:)

AshlandFive said...

I honestly don't think there is a cure...just ride it out! :) Don't worry, it gets worse. HaHA!

Mary Lou said...

Oh Jessica! I empathize with you! I remember Dacia going through this .... for several months...... if it was just you and Ben dealing with it....I would tell you to do what I did.....buy ear plugs! I put her to bed one day and put in ear plugs.....don't worry I could still hear her....it just dulled the whining.....

Strauss House said...

Oh man, whining is not a pleasant sound. Hang in there - I'll pray for patience for ya!

Mathia Family said...

Jessica! I totally have this problem with Taylor! What is a poor Mom to do. She does that all day long and if I'm really lucky she'll grab hold of my pants and hang on me while she does it so I can't move (if I'm making dinner this is especially fun) Let me know please if find a cure or any dicipline that helps!

Alicen said...

He's so dang cute even when he's sick & crying!!! Poor sweet boy! Like Laura said, just hang in there. There is no cure. It's his only way of communicating with you how he feels.... so you may have to wait it out.

My little Z is starting to enter this 'crying' stage too, but every time he does, we break out into a happy song and he gets quickly distracted.... or sometimes, when things get too overwhelming, I just scoop him up, hold him tight, caress his cheeks, and sing a soft soothing worship tune... Music (especially worship songs) has a way of soothing our souls... I do this more for myself than for my babies... as I get stressed too easily! I'll be praying for continued wisdom & patience for you... as you're already a wonderful mom. I've seen you in action many times! :) Love ya girl!

Jessica said...

Alice...that has been a solution that works for us 80% of the time! He loves to laugh, so if we can distract him with silly noises or songs it works...for a little while...enough for my ears to take a break! :) I've even shown him my dance moves and that usually cheers him up for a bit too! It's just the long days where mama doesn't feel like dancing that it begins to get draining! :) - but, that's the Lord...making sure I'm always dancing and singing and praising God!! :) Thank you Lord for those "reminders"! :)

Abby said...

OK- May I offer a suggestion? MOTRIN! It seriously works...because usually on the realyl whiny days they are sick and uncomfortable. Another life saver...the ergo baby carrier. Avery has literally spent hours in it and she is usually whine-free.
Or a drive in the car....at least you can get out and get a change of scenary. Or sometimes if all else fails just put them in the room and shut the door.
It is hard Jessica. Really hard. Some kids are way needier than others. Avery is by far my hardest in this area and it is a huge test of faith for me in putting on love and Jesus and not giving in to my frustration when all I want to do is yell, "Shut up". I keep saying, "Lord- I have learned my lesson right? I don't need to be tested again!!"
You have inspired me to blog about my trouble with Avery though...maybe I can get some better advice! Sorry for rambling! I will pray for you! OH sometimes I do lay hands on her and pray outloud for the Holy Spirit to come upon her and calm her heart.

Ashley said...

Wow... Maybe it runs in the family! Linc has been whining since... hmmm... well I am pretty sure he was born whining :0) No actually he has been amazing lately but I can totally sympathize! It is rough! I think Linc will be better when he can move. He gets SO frustrated when he sees big kids moving. He also really wants to eat our food, that totally sets him off! In my opinion, all this whining seems to mean that they really want to do something and are finally able to realize that they can't. With that theory it should get better when they get a little more dextrous and mature. At least that is what I figure with Linc.How's that for unexperienced advice :0)!!!!

Love ya's
ash

Dani @ Weddings Fresh said...

i have called cody the KING of WHINERS for a while now--i'm right there with you! i'm so sorry, i have no great words of wisdom :)