Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Dharma Cake

My sweet friend Mindy turned 30 last weekend! YEAH...now she joins the world of the 30-somethen's!! :) To celebrate, I thought I'd make her a Dharma cake since she is a BIG Lost fan - well, who isn't right!? Happy Birthday Mindy...We love your sweetness and pray the Lord's blessing on you and your growing family this year!

Just incase you want to know, here are some cake facts on this one...I made it from brownies since Mindy doesn't like cake. It's two layers of brownies and one layer of frosting. I baked them in a 9" round pan and used a template I made of foam core to cut out the octagon shape. Then I fondant'd it. I cut out the Dharma design after the cake "rested" over night and then poured melted chocolate into the design. I thought the chocolate would level out, but it didn't...I should have added some milk to make it smoother...but, you learn! :) I put the "numbers" around the sides to finish it off...again, using the melted chocolate to draw the letters on wax paper and then when they were dried, I put them on the cake with a dab of water. The bottom boarder was little dots of melted chocolate around the base. That's it! SO fun...can't wait to make more!! :)

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hi Jessica! This cake was so delicious!...loved the brownie and yummy filling too! This cake was pretty amazing! Where's the next party?

Unknown said...

oh my goodness, i LOVE it!

Jessica said...

So cool! That's it...you HAVE to start a business :)

The Boggs Family said...

That's so sweet to take so much time to make a cake for Mindy! What a good friend you are!! Another amazing cake by Jess!