Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sushi anyone???

Yes, this is my latest cake...a sushi cake!! I made it today for my brother in law's b-day tomorrow!! I had more grand plans for the base (it was supposed to be not as thick, and then with legs), but I was in a time crunch!! I LOVE how this came out...totally awesome! It's ALL made of fondant, cake and rice crispy treats (well, except the chop stick...which I wanted to make out of fondant, but I didn't have time for it to set up and harden, so my sweet husband ran over to the closest Chinese restaurant and grabbed them for me!) I'm loving the new buttercream frosting as it is giving me a nice base for the fondant. I rolled all the little rice out of fondant...even the wasabi is fondant! It was soo fun to make. AND, I just got back from delivering it to my brother in law and he LOVED it! So, that made me soo happy!! Fun times! This is my last cake for a bit...mama is tired...and I'm sure my husband needs me out front helping him dig ditches for our fence!! :)


The wood grain effect is from mixing vodka with brown food coloring. When it dries, the vodka evaporates. Also, I rolled brown and white fondant together and when I rolled it, it made a little of that wood feel in the fondant itself. A fun effect!! :)

4 comments:

Marion Acres said...

Oh my goodness! We love sushi so this is a fav of mine, you are SO clever! Have you ever been to: http://bakerella.blogspot.com/ it's one of my faorite cooking/baking blogs, and you know she get's paid for all the ads she has on the side... you should start a blog just for your baking/cakes and see if you can get a little profit from it, you are so amazing at it! You could do tutorials, tips and giveaways and you would have a following in no time!

a nonny moose said...

I had sushi last night, tasted like marshmallows and heaven; now my order of sushi is down to 6 pieces. I made 50 dollars off dad when he didn't believe I could eat straight wasabi, kidding ;-) You rock Jess, but, good work on the chopsticks!!!

Ashley said...

The cake was SO good! We got to share in B's birthday while they visited down here and we also got to try some of this amazing cake, I LOVED the frosting stuff!!! Pretty stinkin' good Jess ;0)

The Boggs Family said...

Wow you're amazing! You could start your own cake business! That looks incredible!