Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dice Cakes


Ben and I are heading out to a game night with Portland's Rip City Game Club. Ben goes every month or so, but I've never been. I guess there are some SERIOUS gamers and even a designer or two that pops in. So, I'm excited. A little date night...hopefully I won't embarrass my husband!! :) I made these little cakes to take with us because I want to make sure they like me! :) hehe - and if I win all the games, they won't be mad!! LOL! There are three dice cakes made with 4 layers of brownies and 3 layers of buttercream frosting...completly wrapped in fondant (they are about 3"x3" - although, not totally square). I made a new buttercream that the pros use (took FOREVER to make), but it was definetly the type of buttercream to use for sculptured type cakes...it's SUPER stable! So, that was cool to find out. My fondant job wasn't so great...I realize I really need to clip my fingernails as I continually dug into the fondant. And, I used a new recipe for brownies and they were too sticky and I couldn't get a good cut for the sharp edges...so, next time that will be better. I am happy with them though, they're totally cute!! I hope the gamers enjoy them!! :)


5 comments:

BETHANY said...

Super cute!

Strauss House said...

I think they turned out great! They are going to love you... a wife that is good at games AND cooks? :o)

Alicen said...

i've never made a fondant cake with brownies. what a fantastic idea! i actually like brownies better than cake, so i'd love to try it.... um, next time, save the left overs/ crums for me, kay???!

Strauss House said...

I forgot to ask you on the phone tonight of what you thought of the game night! Ian said it seemed like you had a great time and beat the guys you were playing with - LOVE it!

The Boggs Family said...

Those dice look absolutely real! Wow you're good!