Saturday, December 13, 2008

My second fondant cake

This cake was for a friend's baby shower! I loved how it turned out!! I was smiling the whole time I made it...I know that sounds silly, but it's just fun! I practiced making the baby and blanket with play-doh before I tried the real thing, so Raquelle was all excited when she woke up this morning to find a "real" baby on the cake. I thought it needed a bit more, so I put some curly wire around the cake with the balls of fondant off it, but Ben thought it looked too random and recommended a mobile. So, I got up this morning and made a little mobile for the baby. This cake turned out much better because I used normal cake mix (not the confetti mix) and fondant'd the cake right after I made the marshmellow fondant while it was still easy to work with (before I had put it in the fridge for the night and then worked with it, but it was much stickier). Another learning experience! I can't wait to make the next one for my new nephew's baby shower. It'll be more "manly" than this one...don't worry! :)