Sunday, February 8, 2009

My 3rd Cake...and more lessons learned!


I made my third fondant cake for my sister's "cute as a button" baby shower one of her girlfriends put on for her. This was a cake for my sweet nephew Jordan! - hence the "J" and the button on the cake and cupcakes! So, if you're all following my fondant journey...here are a few tips/lessons learned on this one!!
1. Try to minimize driving!!!! - the trip to Salem and all the vibrations on the highway definitely led to a bit of "settling"! - which brings me to my next lessons learned...
2. I put a TON of frosting on this one...I thought, the more the better right!? :) It's 4 layers inside with tons of frosting in each layer and on the outside of the cake part (pre-fondant). I had the shape in a perfect round, with nice tight corners and a flat top before I fondant'd it...however, because the frosting was so thick, it couldn't hold the perfectly squared off-corner'd look! - so, it got a bit saggy...and you can see more of the layers thanks to the "settling"...so, next time I think the frosting should only be a light coating just to make the fondant stick so that the fondant has a more rigid surface to adhere to...at least that's what I saw them do on "Ace of Cakes"! :)
3. Don't use food coloring to make brown fondant!! - BUY BROWN FONDANT or use cocoa powder in the melted marshmellows (if you're making your own fondant) before adding the powdered sugar! - by the time I added a half of a jar of brown food coloring, and kneaded it for over 20 min, the fondant got really hard and therefore hard to work with - it dried out a bit and gave me the texture of an elephant's skin!! But, at midnight last night I was like, "OH WELL!"...so, next time I would either minimize my brown accents and use tootsie rolls - rolled out/cut into shapes...or try the cocoa powder method. By the way, if anyone has tried the cocoa powder method...let me know!! :)
4. I would roll the stripes much thinner next time! - just a personal preference probably

I think that's it! - here are a few more pics! - Yes, I did the baby on top thing...but this time, it's a boy baby :) and has a hat and pacifier in his mouth!! :)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

that is BEAUTIFUL!

Suzanne said...

WOW!!! Jessica this is amazing! You are so creative...love the baby on top! Makes me motivated to try it myself

The Boggs Family said...

Wow!! I'm so impressed- it looks like a professional made it!! : )